As of May 1, 2010, students will be subject to the rules of the J5 certification system.
The Minister will ward a Secondary School Diploma (SSD) to students who earn at least 54 credits at the Secondary IV or V level. among these credits there must be at least 20 credits at the Secondary V level, as well as the following credits:
- 6 credits in Secondary V language of instruction
- 4 credits in Secondary V second language (core or enriched programs)
- 4 in Secondary IV Mathematics
- 4 credits in Secondary IV Science and Technology or 6 credits in Secondary IV Applied Science and Technology (or 6 credits in Physical Science 416)
- 4 credits in Secondary IV History and Citizenship Education (or 4 credits in History of Quebec and Canada)
- 2 credits in Secondary IV Arts Education (one of the four core ministerial programs)
- 2 credits in Secondary V Ethics and Religious Culture or Physical Education and Health.